Thursday, January 05, 2006

Papio, So Much More Than A Swank Label......


Fans of vintage lounge / exotica albums from the 1950s & 1960s should take a look at the labels for Papio wines. The label works very well, as it instantly caught my eye in a crowd of 100 or so bottles in a local wine store the first time I saw it. Reminds me of the classic Mambo for Cats album cover drawn by Jim Flora. It was enough to make me grab a bottle and I'm very glad I did.

I love a good glass of wine and was amazed at how good the Chardonnay was (and even more amazed that Papio is less than $7 a bottle in most places). Its not Rombauer or Napa Cellars, but it certainly tastes like a more expensive quality wine. I've been to Napa Valley and Tuscany, and had family who worked around the industry and love wine, so I've tasted more wines than I can even begin to mention. I thought the Merlot was a bit dull compared to others, but the Cabernet was much better. I prefer reds (a good Shiraz especially) but I have been stocking up on the Chardonnay for months now.

Papio is also very dedicated to wildlife conservation, so when you buy from them, some of your money goes to some great causes.

So, why post about wine in a blog that has been almost completely about music? Well, like I said earlier, the label mirrors those great album covers of the past, and like many of us, it is not uncommon to purchase a record purely for the artwork. The albums themselves may not live up to the great cover art, but in the case of Papio, the Chardonnay and Cabernet certainly deliver. And now, you can finally purchase posters, t-shirts, and more with the fantastic artwork, so even if wine is not your thing, swank up your pad with these great images.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you know something about wines. Picked up a bottle of the Chardonnay and will check it out. My girlfriend loves the label too.

Anonymous said...

Nice review, PF - I have been recommending, and bought as holiday gifts, the Jordan Vineyards '01 I believe cab - no chardonnay, of course, but for a special occasion...

X Esquire said...

Thanks, I'll have to check that one out. If you want to go local, try anything from the Prince Michel Vineyards in Virginia (even better, drive out to the Madison facility itself and do a tasting).