Monday, October 09, 2006

The Death of Tower Records...

I must say that I'm sad to see the mighty Tower Records down and on the way out. For me, Tower was THE place to go for scarce titles, imports, and out-of-print albums. The listening booths and employee picks introduced me to so many new artists long before they became popular. A trip to Tower could last hours, just browsing the CD bins (especially at the Paramus, NJ store where I spent so much of my time in the 1990s). Tower, was the industry standard for me for so long, and I still complian going to other retailers, saying out loud "Tower Records would have this for sure..." Online retailers may have everything, but there is something to be said about going to a big music store and seeing, touching, and listening to the albums first. Farewell old friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah that's too bad. I didn't know it was closing. I used to love that store! (the one on good ol' Rt. 17)

We don't have Tower in Mpls (or in Tucson), so I haven't been there since '91 or so. You'll have to hit the going-out-of-business sales for sure!