Casino Royale opens on November 17th and the trailer looks very good. What's better, is the fact that it is based on an actual Ian Fleming novel (done correctly this time). David Arnold is back his musical scoring role, and Soundgarden / Audioslave singer Chris Cornell teamed up to write and perform the theme song. Hear the full song, You Know My Name, by Chris Cornell below. This song is so much better than the Madonna garbage used in the last film. The film, and certainly the theme song, should both prove successful.James Bond has returned....
You Know My Name (Chris Cornell)
4 comments:
Sweet!
I respectfully disagree. This song sucks! It sounds like a reject mix of seattle and pop from about 1997, later than the grunge began, but earlier than the grunge guys found their second wind. There's no James Bond in this James Bond theme until the bridge, waay late for my taste. Cheesy lyrics are inevitable when you're singing about a spy, but these don't cut it. All of that knowingly said out of context from the movie.
How dare you knock Madge's brilliant and - most importantly - CURRENT sounding club-inspired techno pop "Die Another Day". It had a simple, memorable motive, an edgy electronic, futuristic feel to match the movie. It fit perfectly into the Milliennium era artistic style of music and fashion and graphic visuals that relate to that movie. I'd more quickly dismiss her appearance in the movie than the song.
But I admit, I like that genre of music. Most people who object to the Madonna theme, I found, are just not fans of techno-electronic-dance-whatever you call it.
My take on other recent numbers, because I know that you are dying to know:
The World is Not Enough - good song, just weak vocal performance by a limited-ranged lead singer from Garbage, Shirley whats-her-face. Could've slid any better singer into that number and had a more solid anthem, but written almost too well into the Bond line of anthems to be screwed up by anyone.
Tomorrow never dies - by Aheryl Crow is a better song than it is a performance, also. It's quintessential Bond. Some people think KD Lang got screwed when her song, Surrender, was sent to the closing credits. I think that was a wise choice. Lang's song is good, but Crow's title number is a better theme for the opening credits.
Golden Eye - Tina Turner...one of the best peformance by a vocalist in the series by far. It's Tina Turner - she's a legend for a reason. That classic "Daaa-dun-dun-dun" beat, with the horns to follow, Bwah-bahhhh. Crescendo's to a big finish at the end. Bellissima. Right up there with Goldfinger.
Tina's anthem makes its also-sung-by-a-black-diva predecessor, License to Kill by odd choice of Gladys Knight completely forgettable.
I also love "The Living Daylights" and "View to a Kill", thouhg Daylights sound was also a little late for the time its movie was released. A-ha were way way out of the spotlight by then...
...which brings us back to the Chris Cornell choice. Same problem. In a time with so many more current options to roll out the uglier...er, "edgier" Bond...who btw is British, during an era of pop rock music filled with edgier sounding throw-backs to punk like the Hives and such. Missed opportunity, I say.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
I am no less respectful than baron, but I have less to say.
Not my least favorite Bond song (What with Madonna and even that awful Never Say Never song...) but not very interesting. Of course I care a lot more about the score, and that's pretty good.
meh. i don't think it's all that great. but anything sounds good after the madonna one, right? ;)
i just saw this article where someone was commenting on the various theme songs:
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FILM_BOND_THEME_SONGS
then i found this other site where you can vote for your favorites. although it doesn't seem to be all that popular..
http://www.rateitall.com/t-1297-songs-james-bond-007-theme-songs.aspx
Post a Comment