Thursday, September 13, 2007

Masaru Satoh: Godzilla vs Anguirus

Ok, been some time since I've posted here, but The New Wave Time Machine has taken most of by free blogging time, so always check that. A long time Godzilla fan, I finally watched Final Wars last weekend and loved the scene where the two guys keeping guard over the frozen Godzilla were listening to this classic track by Masaru Satoh from the 1974 film, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. The film series has always had its fair share of great music, but hands down, this recurrent theme by Satoh is among the swankest monster themes of all time. A big band-meets-exotica-meets-Sci-Fi-meets-spy flick anthem, that sounds like a joint project between Duke Ellington, John Barry, and Les Baxter. Simply a brilliant piece of work. The kettle drums, brass riffs, marimbas, and sax parts are guaranteed to remain stuck in your head for days...

Godzilla vs Anguirus

3 comments:

James Burnett said...

cool blog. i stumbled across it and saw you're into old time radio.

i was an old soul as a high school kid. 34 now, but back then i collected recordings of old-time radio shows, from jack benny to amos 'n andy, to fibber mcgee & molly, to phil harris & alice faye.

anyway, cool blog. i'll be back to read more.

X Esquire said...

Thanks for the post. Old Time radio is certainly odd for those of us in our mid-30s by any stretch. Nice to touch base with a fellow member of the media (of course, I'm not in radio anymore, but still heavily involved in media activities here in DC).

Cheers,
Paul F

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul, any chance you can re-post Morel's Pink Noise Vox remix of All the Things I've done? I have lost my copy and looks like you are the only person who may have it.

Tnx