Thursday, October 28, 2004

"High Like Atmosphere........"

I am so hooked on this song that I had to post it. My buddy Jonathan gave me this CD compilation from Paste Music yesterday and I listened to it on the way in to work this morning. A really great indie / alternative collection worth picking up by the way if you are into acoustic guitar-based rock. One track that just jumped out at me was High Like Atmosphere by Josh Aran which I had on repeat forever in my VW Golf this morning as I drove along The George Washington Memorial Parkway. I don't know if it was the brilliant sunrise reflecting along the Potomac River through the fall foliage just north of Mount Vernon or this ethereal song which just set me at ease (which is very rare during any rush hour commute). There are songs that are good and then there are songs that just make you stop and say, "Wow, I need to play that again..." The music and the song itself are quite simplistic but that is what makes it work so well. Aran's yearning vocals add weight to the lyrics which are surrounded by what I can only describe as instrumental daydreaming (sort a musical dream sequence). If I was still on the radio, I would be playing this song religiously right now. I'd be surprised if this song was not picked up by a show like The OC or Smallville, or for a really good indie film to add drama. Maybe it is the lack of real music on the radio these days and the overly-corporate record companies (what are there, two now?) perpetually crafting talentless lookers into popstars that made this song stand out to me. Or, it may have just been that sunrise along the Potomac this morning which made this song larger than life to me at that moment. Whatever it was, this song is now on permanent rotation in my mental playlist. Thanks for the CD Jonathan, there was some great stuff on there, all by people I have never heard of too.

Cheers,
Paul

No comments: