Well, as a loyal Yankee fan (going back to the days of Reggie Jackson, Dave Winfield, Willie Randolph, Bucky Dent, and Don Mattingly) I never thought I would see the Red Sox make history this week, let alone emasculate New York in "The House That Ruth Built" and head on to the World Series.
And as a loyal Yankee fan, I never thought I would ever say it, but the Sox impressed the hell out of me this week and while I can't say I will be rooting for them (out loud anyway), they have earned my full respect and I'd like to see them win the World Series Why? Because the Sox played some of the best baseball I have seen in a long time. In fact, the entire series has been amazing for Yankee and Sox fans alike (it would have to be for us to watch 4 to 6 hours of baseball weeknight after weeknight). To reduce my withdrawl, I'll be watching game 7 between the Cardinals & Astros tonight (rooting for Houston).
So, do I like the Sox now ......? Hell no. They are a bunch of unshaven, tobacco-chewing hicks (I have yet to see Ramirez at bat without spitting his chew on home plate, and that is fairly crude). But I agree they were the better team and New York has no pitching staff that can take down Ortiz (they couldn't even stop Damon who looked like a deer in the headlights half the time) and Boston's other heavy hitters.
My hat is off to pitchers Curt Schilling for an amazing game 6 (complete with a blood soaked ankle) and Derek Lowe for keeping the Yankees from hitting anything in game 7.
The Yankees need to invest in pitchers for next year (the absence of Clemmons and Petit could be felt during the last few games) and keep good defensive players like Olerud and Cairo around.
Yes, I'm sad to see the Yankees lose, but considering how often they win I can never feel as sad as Boston fans have for decades My favorite quote came from a local news anchor who said (when the Sox were down 3 games): "Just look at the Red Sox fans, they all look like they are waiting for bad biopsy results..." They really looked like they were in pain.
This Yankee fan is admiting defeat this year (my sister will be rubbing this in forever now too, but I'll let her have her victory... I'm more important anyway, that's why Mom & Dad had me first ) by the amazing Boston Red Sox. I'm still a loyal Yankee fan, but for now I'll have to say..... Go Rrrrr..... Rrrr.......... Go Re..... Go Red Sox
Paul
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment