Friday, October 06, 2006

Will The Real Hannibal Lector Please Stand Up...

Long before Silence of the Lambs hit the big screen, Michael Mann (Miami Vice, Heat, Collateral) produced this hauntingly brilliant pseudo-noir epic in 1986 that still keeps people awake at night. In classic Alfred Hitchcock style, this movie is more about messing with your mind, than your stomach (i.e. very little gore). It is what you don't see, that will frighten you the most. It is the anticipation, suspense, and tension that will grip you more than any slasher flick. Starring a pre-CSI William Petersen as ex-FBI agent Will Graham and Brian Cox as a less over-the-top (but perfectly creepy) Hannibal Lector, the film follows the Thomas Harris Red Dragon novel much more closely. Fimed at the same time as Michael Mann's then-groundbreaking Miami Vice tv series, the look and feel are simillar. However, Manhunter is much darker than the best episodes of Miami Vice. Mann's trademark use of light, shadows, and music combined with William Petersen's brooding character portrayl make this one of my favorite thrillers of all time. How Petersen did not become a big name star until CSI following his work in this film still boggles my mind (it was because of his work in the film that I first tuned into to CSI for the first episode). Fans of CSI will love this film, as Petersen's character (here he is a criminal profiler instead) and the film's music and lighting are nearly identical.

The haunting soundtrack, which was only released on vinyl and cassette (remember those days?) features original music by The Reds and Michel Rubini, in addition to tracks by Shriekback, Red 7, Prime Movers, Kitaro, Klaus Schulze, and Iron Butterfly. Long out of print, it has become a collector's item, issued in multiple formats on bootleg CDs. Thankfully, The Mountains of Madness has posted the complete soundtrack (including the missing Kitaro and Shulze songs never released with the soundtrack). Grab this while you can, and be sure to watch the film this October. I guarantee it will scare you.....

Manhunter "Expanded Soundtrack"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul, how do I get in touch with you? Would like to drop you an email if possible...love the site!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen the movie, but the soundtrack sounds pretty cool & spooky enough for halloween. I can't hear "In A Gadda Da Vidda" without thinking about Bart's little prank on the Simpsons though! ;)

I also grabbed the Kids in the Hall soundtrack, while I was at that other site.. hehe

Anonymous said...

P.S.
The shriekback songs make me want to listen to 'oil & gold' -- i had a copy of that on cassette, but i never listen to THOSE things anymore! haha

Anonymous said...

I followed the links in your blog, but could not find the downloadable Manhunter soundtrack.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you please send a current link to the site you referenced for downloading Manhunter tracks to paulbarnhill@netzero.net?

Thanks so much.