Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Artist Spotlight: Beth Sorrentino

Short post today. Flashback to 1991, and I was working a York College concert for a then-new local act known as LIVE, who's debut album Mental Jewelry was taking off on aletrnative radio and MTV (this was back when the band used to call me while I was on the air at WVYC to request songs, and thank me when I played their music). In addition to hanging out with LIVE, I got to meet the opening act, Suddenly Tammy! which featured Beth Sorrentino on keys and vocals (my former college roomate may still have their then-home made demo cassette). While LIVE went on to become legit rock stars, Suddenly Tammy! was not as popular. They released 2 full albums and garnered modest alternative and college radio chart success before calling it quits. Sorrentino has continued as a highly regarded solo artist. Featured below is a single release from 2003 (via Comfort Stand) which highlights her talent as a songwriter. Mellow, laid back, minimalistic alt-pop. Imagine a moodier Juliana Hatfield with a piano instead of a guitar, and you've got the idea.

Beautiful Day
Amazing

No comments: